Faculty & Student Roles and Responsibilities Regarding Recognition of Research Contributions
Both students and faculty benefit from clear and direct discussions regarding the ownership of work products, as well as credit for research contributions in accordance with the standards of the field. These topics should be addressed before a project begins and should continue as projects evolve. Shifts in roles and responsibilities throughout a project should lead to the reconsideration of earlier decisions.
Clear procedures should be in place for seeking and obtaining objective arbitration when necessary. Students should be able to advocate for ownership and credit without fear of retaliation.
- Provide clear and timely guidelines for determining authorship/recognition prior to the research project
- Managing Collaborative Publications
- Working Better Together
- Discuss expectations regarding acknowledgement of research contributions/intellectual property rights with the appropriate person(s) on the research team, preferably before or early in the project.
Faculty & Student Responsibilities
Policies & Values
- Comply with related policies and values
- Academic freedom
- Graduate School
Equity, diversity, equal opportunity and affirmative action
- Regents policy
- Office for Equity & Diversity
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Definitions of Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action terms and types of discrimination
- Reporting discrimination
Ethical research conduct
- University policies
- Office of the VP for Research